> You may not care about them, and that's fine, but I want any tool I use
> be able to work according to these principles.

You are free to use whichever tool fits your needs. And Maven can fit that need
by putting build information in the artifact. But clearly that isn't
sufficient. You want something more. I don't think Maven supports what you are
looking for out of box. And that's fine too.

> I want the tool to support it out of the box by
> including the information in the pom that goes along with the artifacts
> it
> creates.

And that is your preference. But others may disagree. And in a community driven
environment, if something isn't perceived as valuable, it generally doesn't get
done. You are welcome to create a plugin to do this or perhaps enhance an
existing one. If the community feels it is valuable, you will get a lot of help
to make it happen. If the community doesn't, then you won't ;-).

> Of course, the pom is in XML which is eXtensible, so existing tools can
> ignore this extra information if they like! So I don't see why it should
> be
> a problem.

What do you do with the information once you have it? Are you thinking of
extending the concept of version? And how do you ensure that the data is always
accurate? Do you update this information during a build and then recommit? You
say that putting build information in the jar is extra work. But that sounds a
lot simplier than querying this metadata at build time and then storing it in
source control.