>Dear god, that's terrible! I don't want to have to maintain 8 different POM
>files (the number of platforms I support) per variable. Is there an easier
>workaround?

One thing I've been thinking about, but never actually tried, is to set up a
wrapper maven build that has all the various variables, and use resource
filtering (or perhaps the maven-replacer-plugin) to generate the real pom.xml
file based on a template.  Then kick off real build using that generated
pom.xml (which could be integrated into the wrapper pom with maven-exec-plugin).
Resource filtering looks like it might be convenient since it uses the same
syntax (${foo}) for text replacement, but I suggested maven-replacer-plugin
too, since you might want to explicitly distinguish between variables that get
replaced and those that don't and using the plugin lets you define a custom
token to do the search and replace on.

One snag in all of this is going to be that you can't really use the classifier
to distinguish between the artifacts anymore b/c I believe every artifact with
the same groupId:artifactId:version ends up with a single pom file, even if
there are files with multiple different classifiers.

eric