Over time, I have written several Maven plugins that configure other plugins
by manipulating their <configuration> section (with the Xpp3Dom API). This
technique has often proved to be a life saver. For example, I have a plugin
that determines dynamically which JUnit tests should be run, and configures
Surefire accordingly (by adding <include>s).

With Maven 3, this technique no longer seems to work. I don't get any
errors, but the plugins to be configured don't see any changes made to their
<configuration> section, even if I perform the changes as early as in the
"initialize" phase. Is this an intentional change? And what is the
alternative?

Cheers,
Peter

PS: Is there any documentation about writing plugins for Maven 3 (Guice DI,
new APIs, breaking changes, etc.)? Can't find anything.