I'm working on strategies to convert a large and complex Ant build
system to use Maven.

I'm assuming that developers who are working on individual modules will
do a build that pulls the artifacts of other modules (that they're not
working on) from the Nexus repository we have running on an intranet
server.  These will be both release artifacts and snapshot artifacts.

I also assume that incremental builds performed by the release
management team will publish snapshot artifacts to the Nexus repository,
but builds performed by developers will not publish to the Nexus
repository.

Is this reasonable?  If so, what mechanisms do I have to have in place
to make release management builds publish artifacts to Nexus, but not
developer builds?