I recommend "1.0.1", as I dislike ranges (might break reproducible builds
and is just to much automagic in my taste).
"RELEASE", "LATEST" is depracted and should not be used.

When ever a new release is available you need to update the bar pom.

Or, you could keep both projects together with an aggregating project and
have one release lifecycle for them (same version in both,
"${project.version}").

/Anders