It looks to my naive eyes like the logger that is responsible for printing
out the various [INFO] messages to the command line during a Maven run is
hard coded.  Perhaps--hopefully--I'm wrong.

Is there a way to replace this logger as the first action during a build, so
that Maven's logger shunts through java.util.logging, for example?  Via
build extensions, maybe?

(For that matter, is there any documentation anywhere on what a build
extension *is*?  I understand that a build extension is a piece of code that
is loaded into the Maven classloader, and that it can {handwave handwave}
affect the build, but does it need to implement any interface?  Extend from
a class?  The "documentation" on build extensions,
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-using-extensions.html, is
comical.)

Thanks,
Laird