Hi folks,

I've been searching the archives for information on how maven
addresses the licensing requirements of its contained artifacts but
haven't found an answer.

I'm referring to "maven" the build tool and not referring to the maven
central repository or any repository in particular.

Many artifacts assembled via maven (again, the tool and not the
repository) require that a license notice accompany the downloaded
artifact(s).

To this extent, one should be able to indicate in the POM of a
particular artifact that one (or more) license notices be retrieved
and delivered to the local repository at the same moment as the
artifact itself.

Please note that this should be the normal course of events for a
normal build goal (ex: mvn install) and not be some special goal,
because it should be mandatory on the retrieval of the artifact into
the local repository.

Furthermore, I would suggest that  retrieving the license file into
the local repository is not sufficient: an information line in the
normal build log should indicate the license (or group of licenses)
with a link to the license file recovered in the local repository.

I think that this is the requirement for maven, as a build tool, to
permit a POM to indicate the license requirement and to enforce that
license requirement (i.e. copying the license notice and making the
copy conspicuous to the receiver) as part of a standard build.

If you've gotten this far, then I have two questions:

(a) Does maven allow this today?  (And, please, don't mention any
maven license plugins -- it must be part of the box standard build)

(b) If not possible, don't you agree that this is the real requirement?

thanks for returns and help on this point

cheers

-alan