Hi Oliver,
sure you can do it, just move the gpg plugin into a proper 'release'
profile, and configure the release-plugin to activate it when
releasing.
Take a look how I configured the Google Doclava[1] pom to see how it
works, follow below some snippets.
HTH, all the best,
Simo

{code}
<build>
        <pluginManagement>
            <plugins>
                <plugin>
                    <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
                    <version>2.1</version>
                    <configuration>
                        <mavenExecutorId>forked-path</mavenExecutorId>
                        <arguments>-Prelease</arguments>
                        <remoteTagging>false</remoteTagging>
                    </configuration>
                </plugin>
            </plugins>
        </pluginManagement>

        <profile>
            <id>release</id>
            <build>
                <plugins>
                        <plugin>
                        <artifactId>maven-gpg-plugin</artifactId>
                        <version>1.1</version>
                        <executions>
                            <execution>
                                <id>sign-artifacts</id>