On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi Mirko!
>
> If you release the whole project at once, then you obviously only get exactly
> one tag!
>
> You'd need to run releases on each module on it's own to get the single tags.
> But I'm not sure if this is really a good thing...
>
> What is the goal you like to achieve? What's wrong for you with that tag?

Well, let's say we deploy app1-1.8 and now want to fix a bug in this
app. If we always copy the *whole trunk* beneath a tag called
app1-1.8, we just have to checkout this tag and do not need to know,
that version 1.8 of app1 is found in SVN beneath a tag called
parent-1.8. I am just experimenting with the scm plugin attached to
the deploy phase right know.

It is our policy that all components beneath a common trunk are
strongly coupled and should all be released newly if something changes
beneath it. We have used this scheme for a couple of years now, not
only with maven but with C++ and Python projects as well, where one
Makefile could produce several RPMs and implemented automated checks
for getting postings to a newsgroup with the last QA notes from the
former release and doing a quick gatekeeper code review in our QA team
examining the diff between the last releases to make sure hotfixes do
really only fix the hot issue(s) :-).

Regards
Mirko
--