I'm still thinking that it's a wrong approach to keep something inside
webapp directory which is not going to be distributed as part of your WAR
file. Instead, you can use src/test/resources/webapp directory, if these
files are required for in-container testing only.

Or maybe you can create another sub-module for your "client" sub-project.

Anyway, I'm happy it works now with warSourceExcludes.

—
Yegor Bugayenko