First, what you're trying to do is not the normal use case for Maven as a
build tool. I'd say you want to use Maven as some kind of utility.
Therefore, the way to solve your need is not as straight forward as
following the Maven way.

So, first, do you really need to use Maven? Why not continue to use Ant (or
whatever you use to build the war)?

If you still want to use Maven, I'd say the best way to solve things is to
deploy the war to a Maven repo in your current build (you can use the Maven
Ant task or any proprietary API for your repo manager). You then create a
new Maven project with a dependency to this war artifact and use, for
example, cargo to launch tomcat with the war deployed. Then use some Maven
plugin to do your selenium testing.

If you don't install the war in a repository, your need to do some Maven
tweaking (not the Maven way!). I don't recommend this and don't really want
to explain how to solve this as it will lead to so many questions and a life
time support case. :-) But if anyone else wants to have a try, please do so.

/Anders