mvn clean install deploy

means the following

Mr Maven,
    please look up the clean phase in the standard lifecycles and
execute all phases in the lifecycle it belongs to up to and including
the clean phase
then
    please look up the install phase in the standard lifecycles and
execute all phases in the lifecycle it belongs to up to and including
the install phase
finally
    please look up the deploy phase in the standard lifecycles and
execute all phases in the lifecycle it belongs to up to and including
the deploy phase

you will notice that install and deploy are in the same lifecycle with
deploy being just after install