Hi Wolf,

Wolf Geldmacher wrote:

> Hello List.
>
> I'm aiming at introducing maven (mvn 3.0.3 to be precise) in our
> company.
>
> In preparation for the task I've set up a company wide POM (c-p-p) and a
> project specific POM (c-p-p-p) plus a sample project for the developers
> here to use as a template (sample-project) - all included below.
>
> The SCM used is Subversion and the structure of the repositories is
> historically grown, which requires me to define a <scm-loc> property
> which needs to be reset for every project.
>
> The problem I'm encountering:
>
> After "mvn install" for the company and project wide parent POMs I run
> "mvn help:effective-pom" from within the sample-project with unexpected
> results:

> <groupId>com.company</groupId>
> <artifactId>sample-project</artifactId>
> <version>2012.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
> <name>A sample project</name>
> <description>A very simple example project.</description>
> <url>https://doc.company.com/build/trunk/maven/sample-project</url>
> <scm>

<connection>scm:svn:https://svn.company.com/repos/build/trunk/maven/sample-
project/c-p-p-p/sample-project</connection>

<developerConnection>scm:svn:https://svn.company.com/repos/build/trunk/maven/sample-
project/c-p-p-p/sample-project</developerConnection>
> <url>scm:svn:https://svn.company.com/repos/build/trunk/maven/sample-
project/c-p-p-p/sample-project</url>
> </scm> ...
>
> -> The project URL that I explicitly (re-)defined in the
>    sample-project's POM is expanded as I would expect.
> -> All URLs in the SCM section of the effective POM have a trailing
>    "c-p-p-p/sample-project" (as does the project URL if it is inherited
>    and not explicitly set it in the sample-project's POM).
>
> I understand that maven does "inheritance before interpolation", so as
> the <scm-loc> property is set in the sample-project's POM I would expect
> all expansions of the property to have the value defined in the POM.
>
> What am I missing?
> Where does the additional suffixing come from?

The artifactId is automatically appended as suffix when URLs are inherited.

> Is this a bug?

No.

> Is there a way to achieve my goal without having to make it explicit in
> every single derived POM?

No.

> As side remarks: The effective POM fpr c-p-p-p looks ok - no unexpected
> tailing traces of the parent POM there; and mvn 2.2.1 behaves exactly
> the same way.

BTW: The behavior *is* annoying. It's not only that it prevents
interpolation, it also silently implies that the artifactId matches the
folder structure in the SCM.

- Jörg