On 07/04/2011 4:49 PM, AnasMughal wrote:
Yes, that is very similar to our requirement: We need to lock down the build
environment to be able to reproduce the build at anytime in the future.

Need to use version numbers to control your plug-ins as well as your own stuff.
Need to use SVN to tag and branch your projects.
Here are the high level objectives:

Checkout all projects from SVN
Build projects using Maven and install them to the local Maven repository.
We would need to start with the parent projects.

Sounds like a simple batch job will do this.
Not hard to make a template where you can search and replace on the version of the project or plug-ins that you want. You should probably build this in advance of each release so that, at the start of the development, you nail down the "official" versions of plug-ins that your developers use to build.
This should be in your SVN and properly tagged and branched.
Totally agree: we will not check in everything in SVN.

Can't check-out what you don't check-in.

Ron

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Manfred Moser [via Maven]<
ml-node+4288827-1669842602-196...@n5.nabble.com>  wrote:

  >  We have a compliance/audit requirement that we need to be able to
exactly
reproduce builds. (Current requirement does not allow the build machine
access to our internal nexus repository.)
I have had to deal with this sort of requirement in the past in ISO, FDA
and code repository context. In my opinion you need to be able to build
"without anything else apart from the supplied codebase/artifacts". In the
Maven world the best way to achieve this is to package up all the source
code and your repository server setup (or at least the repository used by
your build with all artifacts as well as Maven in the exact version you
use.

You will have to lock down all plugin and dependency versions and be sure
to have them in the repo and then you will be able to do a complete
offline build with the repo.

If you dont do that you will have some major nightmares in terms of
reproducibility of the build and the used artifacts. Do NOT follow down
the path of "just" trying to check everything into svn. If you do that you
properly you will end up with the repository server in svn. Might as well
allow the repo server to be an artifact...

For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden
email]<http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4288827&i=1&by-user=t>