Hi

Is it bad for the aggregator module to include its own parent as a sub-module?

I want to split aggregating and inheritance to allow the "parent" pom to be reused outside of that project, but the project still needs the "aggregator". There are (at least) two options:

1) treat the "parent" module as a separate project with its own release cycle.
Probably the most correct option.

2) include the "parent" module as part of the project, something like:
pom.xml // "aggregator"
+ module-a/pom.xml
+ module-n/pom.xml
+parent/pom.xml // "parent"

Of course, the "aggregator" will reference all modules, and all modules, including the "aggregator", will reference the "parent" using the correct relative path, but, as I understand, in order to be the part of the release process the "parent" should be included as a sub-module in the "aggregator", which leads to both "parent"-is parent of-"aggregator" and "aggregator"-contains-"parent" relations at the same time.

Simple tests show that maven will accept such a project without any errors or even warnings, but I would like to know whether this kind of circular "parent"-"aggregator" dependency is bad.
Any opinions why this should not be done?