I've been using Maven for some time, so I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this
question.  That said...

If I have a multimodule project:

top
-----module1
-----module2

and the modules have the following dependencies:

module1 depends on top
module2 depends on top
module2 depends on module1

When I want to execute the latest tests after a subversion update, I do the
following:

-Navigate to top
-Execute "mvn clean install"

Now in my real use case I actually have 50 or so projects and a few of them
end up creating fairly large JAR files.  A significant portion of the time
taken to execute the "mvn clean install" process is taken up by packaging
and installing those JAR artifacts.

So I'm wondering: do I need to actually use the install for modules to "know
about" changes to their dependencies?  In other words, could I just do:

-Navigate to top
-Execute "mvn clean test"

and module2 would be smart enough to use the target folder of module1 in its
classpath to execute those tests or does module2 always use what has been
"installed" in the local repository?

Thanks!