> what it takes from just plexus and maven to do a 'mvn clean'. I think
> there's got to be something wrong when you need 38 poms and 4 jars. What
> could maven legitimately want with the pom file for 5 different versions
> of plexus-utils?

This happens due to transitive dependencies which are released
depending on a particular version of an artifact, which itself depends
on various dependencies of various versions, so on and so on. And then
new versions of artifacts get released which depend on new versions of
the same set of artifacts (but backwards-compatibility is not
guaranteed nor assumed).

You could clean things up a bit through the generous use of <excludes>
tags and by declaring all the plugins you use in your builds and
locking-down the versions of those plugins with [1.2.3] style version
tags.

Relatively few people (that are vocal or are active Maven
developers/contributors) seem to care about this or see this as a
problem. As such, this is a situation that is unlikely to change.

Wayne