maven 3.0.3

I have a parent company pom that defines a dependency as provided.

This provided dependency has a number of dependencies itself, among which
commons-collections:commons-collections.

My understanding is that all dependencies on which the provided dependency
depends on should also be provided.

But that's not what's happening in my case.

What I end up with is commons-collections:commons-collections being pulled
as compile instead of provided in a ear project (I'm running mvn clean
install -X to check the dependencies).

Have tried to defined the provided dependency directly in the ear project
itself instead of the company pom, but no luck either.

I see the provided dependency twice.
One time with all its dependencies as provided and another time the provided
dependency with only commons-collections:commons-collections as compile
dependency.

I have also seen in another project that the -X didn't show the correct list
of dependencies.
Instead I had to search through the poms to find out which one was pulling a
compile dependency that should have been provided instead.

Anybody an idea?