From what I can understand this issue is almost certainly some kind of combinatorial explosion caused in the calculation of the dependencies. Sample project/and or heap dumps will be required here as far as I can understand.

As for the embedded building, you might want to take note that plexus-utils 2.1 fixes a memory leak wrt embedding. This has been released in surefire 2.9. maven-scm and the xAR plugins also have the same problem and can be fixed by upgrading the plexus-utils dependency to 2.1 in these plugins.

Kristian