Peter,

I use and recommend git. I have not used hg. I do not know anyone who uses hg.

For large projects (>8000 source files) egit becomes painful: every time a file is saved egit insists on making Eclipse refresh everything, which results in multi-second hangs. None of the configurable refresh options appear to fix this. Pure pain. I had to stop using it.

I am reliably informed that "egit is responsible for corrupting the udig repository last year - losing a lot of our project history". But I found it to work quite well for read-only use.

git command-line is rock solid. All the developers I know who have switched to a DVCS have switched to git. Interoperability with svn is excellent, including very smart recognition of renames, honoured on svn dcommit, resulting in preserved log history.

It will change your life.

Kind regards,
Ben.