With version 2.3 of the m-dependency-p the copy and unpack goals will
now resolve from the reactor.

you seem to be using dependency:copy-dependencies and not
dependency:copy if you are referring to MDPE-259

If you replace dependency:copy-dependencies with dependency:copy you
can use the artifactItem to refer exactly to the schema file that you
are attaching to the reactor rather than having to pull in the jar
file...

Another solution would be to bind jar:jar to the pre-site phase in the
module in question (so that the packaged jar is available in a
multi-module site generation.