You are right, not everything could be configured in JNDI. The logger
is a good example. For web application packaged as WAR, you can define
separate project module, and apply the overlay with logger
configuration.

<!-- Customize artifact before deployment -->
<plugin>
<configuration>
        <overlays>
                <overlay>
                        <groupId>${project.groupId}</groupId>
                        <artifactId>modular-war-webapp</artifactId>
                </overlay>
        </overlays>
</configuration>
</plugin>

For more complete example, please look into
http://code.google.com/p/m4enterprise/source/browse/trunk/modular-war/modular-war-deploy/pom.xml

Not ideal, but much better than profiles in the web application
module. The deployment specific configuration is located in separate
"deploy" module.

--
Marcin Kuthan
Maven For Enterprise - http://code.google.com/p/m4enterprise/