> So what you appear to be saying is that the pluginManagement execution
> configuration *is* inherited?

Yes, as pluginMgmt.

> But that you might not want to provide the execution config there if
> it is not generic.

If you mean generic for all children, then yes.

> If I understand correctly, then supposing I want the same config
> (execution and all) everywhere it is used,
> then I can use pluginManagement in the parent to define everything.

Yes. I believe Brian explained this very well.

> If parent and all its children use the plugin, then reference the bare
> plugin (no config) in the parent/build/plugins.
> Otherwise reference it (no config) in the child/build/plugins

Yes, I guess.
But, I wouldn't make it more complicated than it is. If you're adding
the binding in the parent, then I would define everything (possibly
except the version) in parent/build/plugins. No need to split it
between pluginMgmt and plugin. It would just make the pom harder to
read.

> The pluginManagement settings will I assume apply to all CLI (i.e.
> goal) invocations.

Yes, if you add the config on the plugin level and not on a specific execution.

> This is presumably because individual goal invocation is not part of a
> phase and so ignores what is in build/plugins

Right, and this has tricked a lot of new Maven users.

/Anders