Just finished two days (14 hours) of Maven training with Sonatype.

The first thing to say is: I wish I had taken this training 6 months ago before I started down the Maven path - so many things would have been so much easier. In spite of reading tons of documentation and asking questions on the mailing lists, sometimes there is nothing like forcing yourself to sit through a class and follow a well prepared outline rather than fishing around looking for what you want at any particular time. Of course, real-time Q&A helps a lot too.

I think part of my problem was the feeling I was independent and smart enough to figure things out on my own - well I am - but I wasted a lot of time and suffered a lot of frustration for it.

Anyway, even though I have been using Maven for over 6 months, I found a lot of value in both the beginner and advanced courses, and recommend them for anyone wanting competency in using and and administrating Maven projects. If you are a software architect, like I am, I even more strongly recommend these courses so you can have a better sense of the big picture.

Cheers, Eric