Also, I'm not convinced it's a nexus thing.

I've removed (completely) the local storage for repo1 (where this artifact
is proxied from).

I think it has to do with this dependency chain:

[DEBUG]    com.sun.jersey.contribs:jersey-spring:jar:1.4:compile
[DEBUG]       org.springframework:spring-web:jar:2.5.6.SEC03:compile

Are you having issues with that as well?