I am not sure I understood you correctly but here is what I can tell:
Let's say you have a Main project which contains two modules: dao and business:

 * Main
     o dao
     o business

If in your Main pom.xml,  you have defined the following:
<groupId>a.b.c</groupId>
<artifactId>Main</artifactId>
<version>1.0<version>

<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>x.y.z</groupId>
<artifactId>azerty</artifactId>
<version>1.0</version>
</dependency>
<dependencies>

If in your dao pom.xml, you have defined the following
<parent>
<groupId>a.b.c</groupId>
<artifactId>Main</artifactId>
<version>1.0<version>
</parent>

then yes, you should inherit the dependency provided in you Main pom.xml, ie, in my example:
<groupId>x.y.z</groupId>
<artifactId>azerty</artifactId>
<version>1.0</version>

Without any more information, it will be hard to help more I think.

Cheers,
Guillaume