Rule of thumb:

If you feel like you are fighting Maven then either:

1. You are doing it wrong, do it the Maven way and you won't be fighting; or
2. You maybe should be using a different build tool that does not have its
own "way".

In your case you are probably trying to double-use the deploy plugin to
"ship" your jars rather than what it is intended for, i.e. deploying
artifacts to a maven repository.

Use a different plugin to "ship" your jars... one plugin that I use for
these cases is the ship-maven-plugin.

A maven repository is built on the assumption that every GAV has a pom
deployed, you are trying to break that assumption and hence fighting maven.

-Stephen