Hi,

The best practice is to always define the default value for a property in a
parent pom. Then you can use settings.xml (local or global) to override this
property.

In your specific case, when the problem appears, you can execute the
followings goals :
1) mvn help:effective-settings to see the content of the settings file that
Maven is using
2) mvn help:active-profiles to see if your profile is active

Regards

Maxime Gréau.
mgreau.com
*Auteur du livre **Apache Maven - Maîtrisez l'infrastructure d'un projet
Java EE* <http://mvnbook.mgreau.com/>