On 24/10/2011 10:43 AM, codingplayer wrote:
Hi Jan,

i get it now, declaring the dependencies in the parent-pom (or directly in
each module's pom, where it will be used) leads to a proper binding of the
library to the modules, and everybody who changes this dependency, should
then be aware of the influences on the code.
That is one of the reasons why we use aggregation POMs. The decision about what versions of 3rd party tools will be used in the project is made at the team level and the developer only has to decide whether they need JasperReports or not. If they do, then they add a single dependency and know that it is correct and does not drag in any dependencies that conflict with the Apache utilities that are included through the "utilities" POM.

While using transitive dependencies seem to be more or less hidden to those
developers only using e.g. the web module.

I also see the disadvantages (of the parent-pom approach) when you need to
create some assembled artifacts.

thanks for your help on this.

br
R.C.