Hi,

my current configuration of the maven-jar-plugin in my base-pom
automatically generates a -tests.jar file in the target folder (that is
exactly what i want, for most of my projects).

                                <plugin>

                                        <version>${jar.plugin.version}</version>
                                        <executions>
                                                <execution>
                                                        <goals>

<goal>test-jar</goal>
                                                        </goals>
                                                </execution>
                                        </executions>
                                </plugin>

It is also deployed to the remote repository as desired.

All my projects are derived from this parent-pom.

The only problem is, that with this config the -tests.jar will ALWAYS be
generated, even if there are no test sources available. (It just contains
the META-INF folder with the MANIFEST.MF plus the pom.xml and the
pom.properties.)

Can i configure it anyhow, to automatically detect that the project has a
<packaging>pom</packaging> and thus has no tests at all, or to take a look
into the test/sources/ folder and find out it is not available or the folder
is empty?

In fact, i would like to skip the generation of the -tests.jar for those
general projects:
- maven-base (our base project)
- maven-archetype (our companies general archetype)
- maven-site-skin (our company site skin)

and as well for multi-module parents
- sandbox (itself is a pom, with some sub-modules)

The only thing that comes to my mind right now, is that i could define a
property (in every project/module) that would for e.g. set the goal
<jar.plugin.goal>none</jar.plugin.goal> or
<jar.plugin.goal>test-jar</jar.plugin.goal>.

But then i need to set this property in every module of all my projects.

I just wonder if there is any better solution, with some automated way.

Thanks for help in advance!

br
R.C.