During build I would like to unpack a specific folder from a
dependency to my project. The structure of the project/artifact
containing the folder is:

com.resources
  |-> root
        | -> subfolder
        | -> test.txt
  |-> some-other-folder
  |-> pom.xml

and its pom:

        <build>
                <resources>
                        <resource>
                                <directory>root</directory>
                        </resource>
                </resources>
        </build>

Here is the project that wants to extract the 'root' folder to its own basedir:

                        <plugin>
                                <executions>
                                        <execution>
                                                <id>unpack-dependencies</id>
                                                <phase>generate-sources</phase>
                                                <goals>

<goal>unpack-dependencies</goal>
                                                </goals>
                                                <configuration>
                                                        <includeArtifactIds>
                                                                com.resources
                                                        </includeArtifactIds>
<!--
<excludes>**/META-INF/**</excludes>             works if I omit the
includes tag, but I only want the content of the root folder..           -->

<includes>**/root/**</includes>

<outputDirectory>${basedir}/tmp</outputDirectory>
                                                </configuration>
                                        </execution>
                                </executions>
                        </plugin>

but the tmp folder is empty in the project - how do I extract a
specific folder from a dependency?