Hi.

I was adviced to send this to the users mailing list and not the dev mailing
lists. However I got an answer.

--- original question ---

We are using maven for own project types. However the source folders
(src/main/java and src/test/java) are not the same since we are not using java.
To let some plugins work correctly we need to ovrwrite them with the correct
folders.

For know we created a small goal that will be executed early. It will overwrite
the source folders directly. It works but I don't feel it is the correct way.
Do you recommend another way, for example some hint in components.xml I did not
see yet? How do we tell maven that the source folders for our own packaging are
not the java ones?

If having an early goal setting the source folders programtically, what goal
should we choose? The "validate" goal is the first one and so the best one to
set the new source folders but it is focused of "validation" of the project and
not focused on "hack project pom to fit the best needs".

--- answer from wayne fay ---

What you are requesting is trivially accomplished via various entries in
your pom.xml files. This is documented on the Maven website. Ideally you
would have a single top parent pom that all your projects inherit from, and
set the proper values there (in the top parent).

--- my remarks ---

I hoped that we do not need all of the plugin users to rely on a parent-pom we
are serving. In other word: I hoped to find a way other than using the pom.xml
in every project. Is there no way saying "packaging xxx uses different source
folders", f.e. in components.xml? All I am seeing is that maven hard-coded the
java related super pom as a mixin. But the super pom should be customized or
another mixin should be automatically added in our use case.
The uses of our plugin already have to add it to the build plugin lists to
activate the packaging. But thats really fair and ok.

Of course redeclaring in pom will work.

Greetings
Martin