this is a perfect use case for profiles.

in the release profile you use yui-compress to copy them into the war

in a development profile you add warResources to construct the war from the
direct sources....

that (assuming the tomcat maven plugin is written right... jetty can do
this for sure) will give development with live editing, and just -Prelease
to get the compressed version

- Stephen

---
screen