I don't think that you approach is good. If you want it to happen
together with release:perform, it MUST happen after deploy as the
deploy to the repo could fail. If that fails, you mustn't update any
project depending on it as it doesn't exist in the repo. Also, if
you're using some kind of staging (like in Nexus Pro), you simply
can't do this update until the artifact has been promoted/released.

Also, your comment about updating "module projects" in your repo. I
assume you're talking about the artifacts in the maven repo? They must
never be changed, so don't do this!

If I were you, I would perform this update dependencies as a
completely separate activity after the release has been fully
completed. Including staging and whatever it would include. Everything
doesn't have to be bound to the Maven build. Some things are more
appropriate to perform as a separate step.

/Anders