if you are not allowed to change the web app structure in any way, don't
use maven... use ant.

maven is opinionated... maven's opinion is the structure you want to follow
is a load of rubbish... maven will fight you all the way... and any time
you fight maven, you will loose.

btw. with some minor tweaks, your webapp structure could be not so rubbish,
but you seem adamant that the structure is set in stone... i suspect it is
not as rigidly fixed as you think... for example, a jar in web-inf/lib is
equivalent to the contents of that jar in web-inf/classes (unless you have
duplicate classes on your classpath... but that is a bug you need to
fix)... so what was being suggested about adding the dependencies will
"just work" unless your application is breaking all the rules about writing
good java apps... and part of maven's opinionated nature is to help people
follow best practices... so maven will only be your friend if you are
prepared to write your application the right way. (in general i find it is
quicker to write applications the right way with maven, than the wrong way
without maven)

- Stephen

---
screen