We did exactly what you want to do.
We built a learning management system that includes more than 70 jar and war files. We started out changing every version with each release but soon reached a point where most of the modules did not change as we improved the modularity of the system and as maintenance and new portlets became the cause of the majority of the new releases so even a minor release version actually only involved the core, some web services and a few modules.

We moved to individually versioned  projects with a shared parent.
At the beginning of a development cycle we document the versions of each project that makes up the application. We have to be careful about upward compatibility but other than that, it works very well.

We do not use CI.
It seems to be more trouble than it is worth and I am suspicious that it can be used as a substitute for thinking or proper testing. We are also a small group so the sense of personal responsibility is high and communication is not a huge problem.

We also use a lot of `provided` scope which keeps the artifacts small and free of third party libraries or our own libraries so that the 1.10 war has nothing in it that will conflict with any 1.11 jar file that holds the api or core or utilities.

I hope that our experience is useful to you.

Ron