http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/prepare-mojo.html

If you look at the preperationGoal option of the prepare goal, you will see the
default is clean verify.  If you change with to simple be clean, the prepare
phase won't actually try and build the snapshot.

IMHO, your second concern isn't very severe if you have continuous integration
in place. If you do, you will always know when your snapsnot is sane making the
building of the snapshot during the prepare phase virtually useless.  You of
course don't want to release if your CI shows the build to be broken.