You might want to take a look at the versions plugin
(http://mojo.codehaus.org/versions-maven-plugin/) to change the root
POM and make the child modules fall in line (update-child-modules
goal).

Best maven practice seems to be that you don't try to release part of
a hierarchy. If there are modules that shouldn't be released, put them
elsewhere (and release them individually or as part of another
hierarchy). If there are modules that could be released but needn't be
released (because they don't contain changes), it's usually easiest to
release them anyway rather then bend yourself backwards.