Hi Igor,

I guess that your installation is located here, then:

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.0.3\bin

I suppose that the line returns and other strange split are due to the Windows-terminal (it sucks, I know. A way around this is to type 'set > set.txt' which will output everything to a set.txt file and then open that file). Have you checked opening the Terminal to that precise location and type 'mvn -version' directly there.
Have you looked for a typo somewhere?
Could it be that you installed Maven in the 'Program files (x86)' folder instead of the default 'Program Files'? (That is a big difference with WinXP).

Whitespaces could be an issue, although it should work (you can try java -version, it work).

Some users suggested to install maven in a path without whitespaces (like c:\Users\Maven). Of course, this requires to change the path environment variable accordingly.

Other users suggested simply restarting the computer, but I have some doubts about this. Normally, terminals/shells are initiated with their default environment variables and it is "cached" in the terminal, meaning that changes made afterwards are not directly taken into account, but if you re-open one you get the latest set values.
Let us know your findings.

Cheers,
Guillaume