Really?

Every time I do this, I get a message about things NOT being in the root
project...

Are you using mercurial or git or something entirely different?

I'm slowly starting to think this is an issue with the mercurial scm
implementation, NOT the release plugin....

Oh and THANK you for your reply!  I appreciate it!