This is bizarre. It appears that I ran exec:java (or compile) and it
generated class files in the target/classes folder just like in the other
project and maven claimed that all files are up to date. I don't know what I
did to generate the class files. I did a mvn clean deleting the class files
and maven is again erroring on compilation because it no longer has the
class files. Perhaps eclipse's builder was triggered to compile the project?