Billy,

The functionality in Maven is a fact. Whether you or anyone else
thinks that the design *should* have, or *should*, include your use
case, it does not. It is the nature of Maven, for better or worse,
that attempting to use it 'against the grain' generally leads to a
ramifying collection of painful problems. It is not a simple, passive,
extensible structure.

Using profiles and multiple executions of Maven (see the
maven-invoker-plugin) is the only way I can see to get what you want
-- roughly. You can then have an additional project that uses the
build helper to attach them all with classifiers. Just don't expect
much help if this leads you to additional pain if/when you try to use
these things as dependencies.

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Billy Newman <newman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> an artifact targeting JRE 1.5 but at the same time also an artifact that
> still supports JRE 1.4. The first artifact could be equipped with the
> classifier jdk15 and the second one with jdk14such that clients can choose
> which one to use.
>
> So if I can kick off two builds one for a jdk5 jar and another for a jdk6 jar
> both the same version so that the are stored in the same place in the
> repository but differ by classifier. Then why not kick off  a couple builds
> that are meant for different envs whenever the code changes, bump the
> version, test the changes and make them all available in the repo?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 29, 2012, at 4:02 AM, Stephen Connolly
> <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Argh!!!!
>>
>> You're doing it wrong.
>>
>> The JAR/WAR/EAR/etc should be independent of the environment in which
>> it works. If you want to bundle default properties for when no
>> properties file is to be found, that is fine. But it is a great
>> ANTI-PATTERN to put environment specific resources into your
>> artifacts.
>>
>> Maven is going to fight you all the way.
>>
>> Here is how you would do things with a .war/.ear file, where there are
>> a number of options (a subset of the options works for .jar files):
>>
>> * Use context parameters in the servlet/application container
>> * Use JNDI to expose the parameters
>> * Use System properties to expose the configuration
>> * Put the environment specific parameters in resource files on the classpath
>> * Use a repackaging script immediately prior to deployment to the
>> container that unpacks the archive, adds the configuration files, and
>> repacks it
>>
>> All of these are considered outside the scope of Maven.
>>
>> Maven's responsibility for building your artifact ends when it has
>> delivered an environment independent artifact into the Maven
>> Repository.
>>
>> Your responsibility does not end there. To then (I am going to use the
>> word 'ship' in place of 'deploy' because people confuse maven's use of
>> 'deploy' with application container, and operations teams use of the
>> word) ship your application, you take the artifact from the Maven
>> Repository, configure it (if necessary) for the environment in which
>> it will be shipped and put it into that environment.
>>
>> If you want Maven to help with that, I would take a look at the
>> ship-maven-plugin@mojo or the cargo set of plugins... both of which
>> operate, in this context, outside of the standard Maven lifecycle,
>> i.e. after Maven has completed its responsibilities.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> -Stephen
>>
>> On 29 February 2012 00:51, Billy Newman <newman...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So for reasons I don't want to get into I have a jar that is backed by a
>>> properties file. That properties file is different for different
>>> environments. What I want to end up with is something like:

>>> myapi-1.0-test.jar
>>> myapi-1.0-ops.jar
>>>
>>> Where dev, test, and ops are different flavors of the jar specified by the
>>> classifier.
>>>
>>> My real question was is how do I set the classifier such that it would
>>> create one of these. The answer is in the maven-jar-plugin you can set a
>>> configuration with a classifier.
>>>
>>> <classifier>${env}</classifier>
>>>
>>> Then I setup a Jenkins build that will execute a deploy for each of my
>>> flavors by setting the env property differently for each execution.
>>>
>>> env=dev
>>> env=test