I can give some answers but not all.

On 29/02/2012 6:15 AM, sufs2000 wrote:
Hello All,

I need a little help, I am trying to persuade people in my office to make
use of Maven but in order for this to happen I need to put together a case
with Security. They have asked me 3 questions and I was wondering if anyone
could help me with answering them? Im trying to do my own research but if
anyone could give me some pointers that would be great!

1) How popular is Maven? (Companies using it, number of users, etc)
Lots. Thousands and millions would be my guess.
Some are giant software houses and thousands are small 1-10 developer companies like mine.

I think that you can get download stats from the website.
If you Google "Maven", you will get millions of responses.

2) How many Jars/libs are available and how many do people use?
Almost everyone who makes a jar for public consumption distributes through Maven Central.
Go to the Maven Central Repo and look for the jars that your company uses.
http://search.maven.org/#browse

Maven Central is missing some important libraries that you have to get yourself because of licensing restriction - ORACLE (Java libraries)

3) How regularly is it updated?
Any time that an organization releases a new version of their library, the put it on Maven Central or onto the public side of their repo if they are doing the distribution themselves (Springframework.org for example).
All Apache projects release through Maven.

If anyone could help with this it would be very much appreciated :)

You will want to install your own internal repo with proper access controls so that you can share your SNAPSHOTs and releases within your organization. I use and recommend the free version of Nexus from Sonatype but there are 2 other competing repository packages that work well with Maven.

Do not try to run Maven without your own repo. It is not worth the aggravation. Once you have your repo setup with all of the right proxies to the software library repos that you needd, the developers do not have to worry about finding libraries.

It sounds like your organization is concerned about security and the security controls in Nexus should make them happy.

Ron
Thank you!

Ron Wheeler
President