Hi,
I'm looking for a tool that will help me:
Build Java Code
Move Php code to a different location on my computer
Create New Directories on the server and upload content to them (via
FTP over SSL or maybe SSH)
Download whole directories and then zip of the contents
sounds like you need a thing like wagon-maven-plugin
http://mojo.codehaus.org/wagon-maven-plugin/ which might do the job...
Creating ZIP File might be job for the maven-assembly-plugin ...

I'm not sure if in your case Maven is the right choice...but you should take a deeper look...may be you can give some hint for enhancement of existing plugins or may for new plugins...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de