I think a much better solution than relying on the build tool (maven
profiles or on war overlays) is to use environment variables and bundle all
the LookAndFeel.xml in your war

I would use spring 3.1 and use the environment profiles feature.

http://blog.springsource.com/2011/02/11/spring-framework-3-1-m1-released/

http://blog.wookets.com/2011/11/spring-31-environment-profile.html

Regards