From: Seth Call <sethc...@gmail.com>
To: users@maven.apache.org <users@maven.apache.org>
Sent: Tue Mar 06 22:01:07 2012
Subject: Is it possible to tie current git branch to project version?

Hi there,

I've seen indication when searching the internet that it isn't possible to
put variables in <version> of a project (unless those variables are
hardcoded <properties> or provided at the command line), but I thought I'd
ask the list ...

Say there was a plugin that would invoke 'git branch' to determine the
current branch, and to then make that available to the project as a
variable; call it ${branch}.   I'd like to use this variable then in the
version tag:

<project>
<groupId>blah</groupId>
<artifactId>blah</artifactId>
<version>${branch}-SNAPSHOT</version>
</project>

The reason I want to do this is that I'm realizing, for our internal-only
code projects, that a branch is always synonymous with a version of a
project, and ideally the act of being of switching branches would be all it
takes to switch your maven project's version.

Is this possible if I were to make a maven plugin?

Thanks!
Seth