Hi,

As you already mentioned: although Sonar gives you the best reports, it requires a running Sonar application. I once needed the static pages and the dashboard-maven-plugin seemed to be the best solution.
I wasn't happy with the implementation and the number of open issues.
A long time ago I started rewriting the plugin[1]. I came pretty far. It became pluggable (you can decide which reports you want, add your own reports), but I had some generics-issues I wasn't able to solve. This plugin is still on my todo list, but there are much more important things I like to pick up first.
I'd be glad if you want to take the challenge to help on this plugin.

-Robert

[1] http://svn.codehaus.org/mojo/branches/rfscholte/dashboard-maven-plugin/ (not sure of its state, but that's why it is a private branch)