Nothing wrong with using build helper...

But *if* you have written a plugin to do your code generation, then the
mojo that generates the source code should also add the generated source to
the compile class path (projecthelper.addsources iirc)

For example I wrote a plugin to generate some code to help event logging,
making a LogEvent class that had method signatures matching each event's
requiered parameters... After the classes are generated in
target/generated-sources/LogEvent/ I then add that path to the compile
sources.

HTH