On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Russell Gold <russell.g...@oracle.com>wrote:

> I see that the maven lifecycle includes separate phases for unit tests and
> functional tests, but I don't see how to take advantage of that. The
> failsafe plugin, as far as I can tell, uses the exact same directories as
> the surefire one. Is there a standard maven way to define a set of unit
> tests and also a separate set of functional tests? If not, what good does
> having separate phases do?

It seems to me that this is one place where you have to add some
configuration. Using the convention by itself won't work. One strategy I
use is to name all of my unit test classes "*Test" and all my integration
test classes "*IntTest".  I then exclude "*IntTest" from surefire and
include "*IntTest" in failsafe.  I suppose another approach would be to
name your integration tests "*TestInt", and that would allow you to only
specify configuration in failsafe, as surefire would be fine.