Just to see if it would work, I moved the child-dep-jdk15 dependency out of
profiles and moved it into <dependencies></dependencies> (outside of
profiles). It still fails with the same stack trace. Any idea why? I can
get the build to pass if I leave out that dependency altogether, but that's
not really an option without significant code rewriting.

I'm also curious about why including a dependency in a profile is not a
good idea (as is using profiles at all). I'm working on a large codebase
and would need to explain to the rest of the team before making such
changes. Where can I read up on best practices about this?